The history of The Chateau Svetla nad Sazavou dates to 1393, when the son of Albert from Sternberk ordered to build a fortress at the monastery, after which in 1421 the estate was inherited by Mikulas Trčka from Lipa. Next century the fortress was rebuilt into a small hunting castle in the Renaissance style. Trčka generation resided here until 1636, when their property was confiscated and passed to the royal chamber.
In 1722 the chateau became the property of the Černín family. František Antonín Černín continued in further modifications of the chateau in the Baroque style.
After various architectural changes of the 18th century, the family of Krakow Kolovrat owned the estate, the park at the Chateau changed and expanded.
In 1821 the Chateau became the property of the Salm-Reifferscheidt family. In 1869 they invited the Viennese architect Svatoš, thanks to which the castle acquired its present appearance: four wings in the Renaissance, Baroque, Empire style, Neo-Renaissance styles, led by central tower and balcony.
During the war of the 19th century the castle was used as a military hospital, after which had a lot of architectural changes in the Empire and New Renaissance styles.
A few years in the 20th century, the estate was used as a state land institution, then it was bought by a merchant Morawetz and owned until 1939. During the whole II World War it was used by German garrison, 1945-1949 by Czechoslovakia Army. From 1949 to 2011 there was agrarian secondary school.
Currently, the goal of the castle owners is to preserve the cultural architectural monument castle and to make opportunity of public visit of the Chateau Svetla and Sazavou.
Also at the Chateau of Svetla nad Sazavou:
- exposition of historical european glass from baroque to the 19th century in the Barogue wing of the castle
- exposition of historical clocks, baroque paintings, polychrome sculptures and porcelain in the Renaissance and Empire parts of the castle
- exposition Children's Kingdom
- children's fairytale exposition Na Sazave
- quest program in the style of ancient Greek legends
- an 18-hectare English-style park with cascade ponds
- accommodation in luxury apartments
- cafe Ladurée