The first information about theatrical plays in the theater dates back to the mid-16th century. It was then that the monks of the Augustinian monastery gave performances mainly with biblical subjects. Within a century after the battle on the Bílá Hora (White Mountain), information about the theater is scattered and appears again from the second half of the 18th century. The result of the development of theatrical activity was the creation of a permanent theater hall in 1797, above the former fermentation chamber of the city brewery (currently, the Exhibition Hall Under the Tower). The hall was equipped with a portable theater platform with 6 stages, including backgrounds purchased from the destruction of the Trebon Monastery (1785). When the hall for performances was changed in the theater in 1799, the amateur actors, along with the castle officials, alternately played on both stages. In 1822, after a performance, there was a quarrel between actors and legal owners about the incomof the show. Disagreements led residents to decide to build their own theater building. For this, the place of the malt factory of the former brewery was chosen, which remained in the rubble after the fire of 1781. The new building was built in 1832 in the Neo-Renaissance style with elements of Art Nouveau designed by Antonin Balsanek. In the new theater, local amateurs performed with nomadic acting troupes. It is impossible to list the number of groups and plays that have been shown on the stage of the theater from that moment. But after the end of World War II in 1952, the Trebon Theater was closed due to an emergency. In 1955, a large-scale reconstruction was begun, which was completed in 1962, and the theater again became the center of the cultural life of the city and remains to this day.
The contemporary interior of the theater dates back to 1872 and today is the jewel of theatrical architecture. The construction of this unique theater was the logical outcome of the rich theater tradition in Trebon. In the auditorium there is a wooden gilded chandelier from Buquoy glassworks located in Novohradsk region. The celling of the theater and the wall above the stage are covered with paintings made by the academic artist František Skála, who in 1872 also created the painting with the allegorical scene of the arrival of Apollo with the goddesses Thalia and Melpomene and the company to the town. This curtain is one of the oldest theater curtains in Bohemia. Nowadays, there are held not only theatre perfomances, but also concerts, events, not mention the puppet shows. For those who are interested, the theatre can be visited through regular tours or as part of the audience in any of the theatre performances.