NAVIGATION
Castle Blatna
The castle's long history, distinct architectural style in a rare surviving environment of parks and water, and current condition all make it a jewel among castle complexes.
Park
Deer
Ghosts
Guided Tour
Gastronomic Tour
Castle Cafe
HISTORY:
CASTLE HISTORY
The castle and grounds at Blatna are without doubt one of the most important monuments of their type in this country today from an architectural and historical standpoint. The castle's long history, distinct architectural style in a rare surviving environment of parks and water, and current condition all make it a jewel among castle complexes. Along with Švihov and Červena Lhota, Blatna is one of the best preserved water castles in the Czech Republic. Its architectural and historical development made this chateau a striking example of the changing artistic styles over the centuries, and since it was mostly held by members of the high nobility over the years, Blatna was one of the places where Central Europe's history was made and shaped.

Although the area has been inhabited since the 6th century, the first written record of Blatná dates back to 1235, when probably just a wooden fortress built on a rocky piece of land in the middle of a marshland (blata in old Czech, hence the name Blatná - A Marshy Place) existed. Not much is known about the castle until the second half of the 13th century, when it becomes the property of the house of Bavorové of Strakonice. There exists a legend that in those times the fortress was a seat of the Templars who are said to have hidden a treasure somewhere in the castle. The only remaining construction from this period are the foundations of a Romanesque chapel.
From 1391 the castle and then already existing town belonged to the house of Lvové (i.e. Lions) of Rožmitál. Under the new masters the fortress was for the first time rebuilt in stone (the oldest parts being the tower and Rožmitálský Palace) and the surrounding marshes were changed into wide water trenches, thus giving the castle the looks of "A swan sitting in a lake". Their long rule marks the golden age of this place. Lvové were continuously rebuilding and enlarging the castle, first with the so-called Old Palace, standing separatedly over the remnants of the Romanesque Chapel. In 1523–1530, under the guidance of renowned royal builder Benedikt Ried of Piesting (or Benedikt Rejt of Pístov), a new palace in a mixed Gothic-Renaissance style was appended (it is named after Rejt these days).

In the second half of the 17th century, the castle was owned by the house of Šternberkové for a short time until it was bought by the Polish house of Rozdražovští of Rozdražov in 1579 who had a new Renaissance palace built. During their rule, the castle and town were looted. The Baroque period is marked by the Hungarian house of Serényi who had the castle rebuilt (namely after the big fire in 1763) and also erected many statues in the town and its surroundings. They also completely rebuilt the church in Paštiky.

Since 1798, the castle has belonged to the Tyrolian house by origin of Hildprandtové of Ottenhausen, except the period of communist dictatorship (1948–1989) when it was confiscated by the state. In 1850–1856 the castle received its last rebuilt, in English Gothic style, which gave it its contemporary looks.
zamek-blatna.cz

For more information or inquiries please reach us on +420 383 422 934 or at info@castle-blatna.com.

Na Příkopech 320, Blatná, 38801,
Czech Rebublic